June 11, 2012
The June 11, 2012 meeting of the Recreation and Grounds Committee, held at Town Hall was called to order at 7:00 p.m., by, Charlene Jones, Committee Chair.
Members Attending: Charlene Jones, Marge Morales, Ken Walsh
Board Liaison: Jeff Salmon attended.
Members Absent: Donna Mines, Luis Pitarque, Steve Sebestyen
Staff Attending: Farah Scruggs, Elaine Stoner
Guests Attending: Danielle L. Kapetanovic, John Winkert
Danielle L. Kapetanovic, has been a two year resident of South Riding and has expressed an interest in joining the Recreation and Grounds Committee.
On behalf of sections 80 & 81, Steve Sebestyen has proposed a playground be installed at the Amberlea Townhomes off of Riding Center Drive. The playground would benefit the surrounding communities as well as all of South Riding. Steve is in contact with Toll discussing when bond release is scheduled.
Approval of the Minutes: Marge Morales moved to approve the May 2012 Recreation & Grounds Committee meeting minutes as amended. The motion was seconded by Charlene Jones. The motion passed unanimously.
Chair Report: Charlene Jones
• Charlene shared that she officially tried out the new slide at Hyland Hills Pool and believes it is a good addition to the community, which is fun for the adults and kids.
Board Report: Jeff Salmon
• Quorum requirements for each Committee have been reviewed by the Board of Directors and they ask that each Committee review their Charter accordingly.
• Celebrate South Riding went great on Saturday June 2, 2012. Although, Friday night was cancelled due to weather, there was still an estimated 8,000 attendees on Saturday night.
Operations/Recreation Report: Farah Scruggs
• Pool opening weekend went well. Staff was onsite and available Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Complaints were scarce and High Sierra also stated it was the smoothest pool opening they have had yet.
• South Riding Children’s Center has requested an extra hour on Tuesdays or Thursdays at Town Hall Pool. They have an extra class of younger children they would like to bring separate from the older kids at camp. This will not interfere with lessons on either day and Staff permitted the extra hour.
• Unfortunately, Liz Flahive, South Riding’s fitness instructor has to relocate and can no longer hold classes within South Riding.
• Clearbrook Academy in Herndon requested the use of South Riding’s pool for their camps. Staff informed them that our pools were only opened to South Riding based camps and the schedule is approved early in the year.
• Tennis lessons have been going well. Staff has been checking the updated roster and all kids participating hold a valid SR RecPass.
• Staff is reviewing the pool basketball rules and rules concerning having balls at the pools. There has been more than one incident this year where someone was hit or injured by a football, or hard sports ball and staff hopes to implement changes in order to alleviate any future incidents.
• Clippers has been cutting back on mowing in order to trim all trees along the sidewalks that are obstructing the path of residents.
• Operations Department has been very busy with pool season and events in full swing.
• Recreation and Amenities Community Survey: Currently under development.
• Addition of a Dog Waste Station in Section 80: Committee discussed the addition of another dog waste station at the intersection of Loudoun County Parkway and Nations Street. This would serve the residents of Section 80, and those that utilize the walking path along Loudoun County Parkway. Although, there is a dog waste station within a half mile radius, this would serve a large section of South Riding.
Marge Morales motioned to recommend to the Board of Directors to approve a dog waste station be installed at the corner of Loudoun County Parkway and Nations Street along the walking path in Section 80. The motion was seconded by Ken Walsh. The motion passed unanimously.
Pool Cleaning Schedule: All of South Riding’s pools are heavily utilized, including before and after hours, with scheduled swim practices, lessons, swim meets, triathlon trainings, and pool party rentals, which leaves little time for necessary vacuuming and cleaning of the pools. While there is daily cleaning and maintenance done at each pool, SRP and High Sierra believe it is in the best interest of the community to give our pools a weekly “deep clean”. Here is what we are proposing:
Hyland Hills – Tuesday and Thursday from 7-8am
NOTE: The pool will not be closed and Adult Swim will still take place. The lifeguards will close down and clean sections of the pool at a time.
Meadows – Wednesday and Friday from 8-9pm
NOTE: The entire pool will not close early. The lifeguards will close sections of the pool for cleaning each day. (i.e. Wednesday the beach entry / shallow area and spa will be closed for cleaning and the standard area / baby pool will remain open; Friday the standard area and baby pool will be closed for cleaning while the spa and beach entry will remain open)
Town Hall – Sunday from 7-8pm
South Riding Center –Monday from 8-9pm
Ken Walsh motioned to recommend to the Board of Directors to approve staff’s revised pool cleaning hours. The motion was seconded by Marge Morales. The motion passed unanimously.
Meeting adjourned: Marge Morales moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:15 p.m. The motion was seconded by Ken Walsh. The motion passed unanimously.
Next meeting: Monday, July 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm. Town Hall.