The December 10, 2012 meeting of the Recreation and Grounds Committee, held at South Riding Cetner was called to order at 7:05 p.m., by, Charlene Jones, Committee Chair.
Members Attending: Charlene Jones, Luis Pitarque, Marge Morales, Ken Walsh, Donna Mines, Steve Sebestyen, Rick D’Amico.
Board Liaison: Jeff Salmon attended
Members Absent: John Winkert
Staff Attending: Farah Scruggs, Wendy Taylor
Guests Attending: none
On behalf of sections 80 & 81, Steve Sebestyen verbally requested that playground be installed at the Amberlea Townhomes off of Riding Center Drive. The playground would benefit the surrounding communities as well as all of South Riding.
On behalf of Gary Jones, Charlene Jones suggested that parking spots be marked on Upper Clubhouse Drive in Sections 1B1 & 1B2.
Approval of the Minutes: Donna Mines moved to approve the November 2012 Recreation & Grounds Committee meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Marge Morales. The motion passed unanimously.
Chair Report: Charlene Jones
• Charlene attended the December 1, 2012 Board of Directors meeting.
• Emails concerning downed trees in the area were forwarded to the SRP Operations Staff for review.
• Charlene submitted an official letter to Loudoun County Parks and Recreation Director requesting a community garden be included at the Dulles South Multipurpose Center for the South Riding residents.
Board Report: Jeff Salmon:
• Board approved phase II of the Hyland Hills Splash Park & bath house capital contracts.
• Board approved the proposed SRC gym and appreciated the Recreation and Grounds Committee review of the project.
Loudoun County Parks and Recreation: Paul Goudeau
• No Report
Operations/Recreation Report: Farah Scruggs
• Staff is currently working on the 2013 Pool and Aquatic schedule and rules. The pool working group met before the meeting to discuss potential changes for next year.
• Staff is looking forward to adding new magazine articles throughout 2013. Staff hopes to add collaborative articles with residents, community businesses, schools, etc.
• Staff will be working with Events throughout the 2013 season to incorporate new recreational programming and events for the community.
• Pool Management Bids-Recommendation to the Board: Staff and members of the Committee interviewed the following management companies in November 2012:
o High Sierra Pools, Inc.- Karin Whitehead Karin@highsierrapools.com
o Titan Pool Service, Inc. – Kelly Phillips email@example.com
o Crystal Aquatics – Casey Ford – firstname.lastname@example.org
o American Pool Enterprises, INC – Greg Gochoel – email@example.com
The Pool working group reviewed and discussed all pertinent information from each interview and made a recommendation to the Recreation and Grounds Committee.
Donna Mines moved to recommend to the Board of Directors that High Sierra Pools, Inc. be granted the 2013 pool management contract to include all pool opening and closing maintenance services and swim lessons for 1 year with the option to renew with contract provisions as discussed. The motion was seconded by Luis Pitarque. The motion passed unanimously.
• 2013 Chair and Vice Chair Recommendations: The Committee reviewed the charter and nominations were made for Chair and Vice Chair persons.
Charlene Jones moved to recommend to the Board of Directors to appoint Donna Mines as the Recreation and Grounds Chairperson for a one year term and to appoint Luis Pitarque as the Vice Chairperson for a one year term. The motion was seconded by Rick D’Amico. Motion passed unanimously.
• Review 2013 Meeting Dates: Committee reviewed the scheduled 2013 meeting dates. October 2013 Recreation & Grounds meeting falls on the Federal Holiday, Columbus Day. Town Hall offices will be closed. The meeting date has been changed to October 7, 2013 to accommodate staff and residents.
Meeting adjourned: Marge Morales moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 p.m. The motion was seconded by Steve Sebestyen. The motion passed unanimously.
Next meeting: Monday, January 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm. @ Town Hall.